Wednesday 21 November 2012

Life after surgery part1


After about two weeks of rehabilitation at the hospital my stay there came to an end. Leaving the hospital brought mixed feelings because I was glad to leave but somehow I wasn't ready to go. I couldn't come to terms that it was time to leave the hospital.  My mother and I left Erie Pennsylvania and headed for Huston Texas where my aunt lived. I stayed at my aunt’s home for approximately three weeks. It was extremely difficult living with my family. I often forgot my limitations. I often bent over incorrectly; I started to neglect my exercises and I often played basket ball but only shooting three throws. My Experience in America made me realize that we in Trinidad have a lot to be grateful for. Finally my Journey came to an end and it was time to head back to sweet T&T. I was tremendously happy but many unforeseen stumbling blocks came when I arrived home.

I arrived in Trinidad the second or third week in September. This meant I started school very late. I was in form two at this time. A letter was sent to my school explaining that I finished my surgery. In response the Principal of my school gave me a soft chair to sit on during all my classes and I was exempted from   practical Physical Education (PE) for the entire school year. My first day of school was very far from ordinary. I sat inside my classroom bombarded by questions from class mates and teachers. I was easily exhausted at the end of the day. However, my physical education teacher believed that my mother was over paranoid and I was still able to do some physical activities. I usually stayed out of conflicting questions concerning my back and let my mother handled teachers.

Many students got jealous and annoyed that I was getting special treatment. I often got extensions on home work assignments and if the entire class got punishment such as to stand outside in the sun I was exempted. Yes! My form two class was very mischievous. As school progressed many of my classmates weren't the same to me. They made fun of my situation. I remembered when my teacher asked me to do a simple task and one of my classmates  said miss you can’t let break back Headley do that. If you didn't know Headley is my last name. This annoyed me greatly. I guessed they were young and being immature. Form’s two to three were my worse days in school. Forms four to five were my better years but name calling was the least of my problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment