Friday 9 November 2012

Rehabilitation


The fourth week after surgery Doctor Sanders visited me. This wasn't any ordinary visit. Doctor Sanders came with the intention to observe me as I walked for the first time after surgery. This was much harder than you may think. The titanium rods in my back made it very difficult to walk. My back was stiff and I felt a weight on my body I never felt before which made it extremely difficult to walk. I only took a few steps which were four or five slow steps. Ultimately, the nurses had me walking every day. At the beginning I didn't like walking because I walked like an old man one step today one step tomorrow. Walking down steps was very hard and painful but my mother was right by my side encouraging me all the way.  As days go by walking became less painful but I still had to take my time when walking.

I knew after surgery my life would never be the same. The nurses often reiterated this to me and my mother. I met with a physiotherapist who suggested simple exercises for me to build my strength. Some of my exercises would seem easy now but at that time  it was a bit challenging. Some of my exercises were doing push -ups against the wall and simple stretches. I initially, intended to illustrate my exercises via a video but I can’t remember all my exercise.

This video explains the limitations i would of experienced. He also looks at the importance of sufficient post surgery rehabilitation. 



No comments:

Post a Comment