Saturday 24 November 2012

Life after surgery part 2


In my last blog I stated challenges I encountered after my surgery. As I said previously name calling was the least of my issues. Some of my other challenges after surgery were I detested going to the beach or any pools. I was ashamed of the scar the surgery left on my back and I didn't want people to stare. Also, clothing became a huge issue for me. When I came back to Trinidad the fashion statement for men eventually changed and tighter clothing became prominent. This was an issue because my back’s curvature became visible when I wore some of those tight jerseys. It was very hard fitting in among my friends and classmates.

In addition, anyone who’s acquainted with me knows that I love cricket. However, a physiotherapist informed me that cricket is the worse sport I can possibly play. She recommended swimming as the best sport for my back. This made me very upset and depressed. I eventually started a therapeutic swimming class. This class contained older individuals who suffered from different conditions, so I felt somewhat comfortable .Also; no one ever stared or looked at me differently.

Another major concern for me was my school bag. Carrying text books to school was a problem. I often hold textbooks in my hand but my back was weak after surgery. Asking someone to help carry my text books was out of the question. During my time from forms four to five my text books were very important to the subjects I was studying. The swimming helped strength my back and it eventually made this a little less problematic.

 Finally one of my greatest challenges was depression. I wasn't happy with myself. I often ask God why me?  My closest friends during my secondary school life were my cousins but sadly my mother didn't want me socializing with them too often.  My school life wasn't as bad as it may have seemed but I never had anyone who understood me. Looking back I should have attended counselling but I believed I could have handled myself on my own. 

Don't forget to join the discussion on  my facebook group and feel free to comment. http://www.facebook.com/groups/155511667921915/

No comments:

Post a Comment