Tuesday 30 October 2012

Days After Surgery

In my last blog I spoke on finally  having surgery. Days after it was very hard for me because I was immobile. Every day I would basically move my head  and speak with my mother or nurses. Also, i watched a lot of television. The soft cast covering my back made me felt very uncomfortable while laying down. At the beginning I was brave but as time went by I started to get very anxious. However, in a matter of 2 or 3 weeks all the needles from my hand were removed. I was happy for the removal of those needles but every day I had to blow into this tube to prevent myself from getting bronchitis. I hated blowing into that tube because it hurt my chest a lot and I had to do it at least 3 times a day.

My mother was my main encouragement because I refused to do what the nurses wanted me to do at times. In their defenses the nurses were caring, but not as sensitive as they should have been. Yes, at that point in time I was a teenager but I was in a different country, under immense back pain, no one really to comfort me except my mother at times and I was not accustom of taking so much medication. I was mostly by myself a lot and took five different tablets at least three times a day. It doesn't seem like much but close to three times a day becomes very annoying.

Eventually, I began to get very worried because I was never an inside child. Since I was immobile I started to think what if I never came out of this bed and other worrisome thoughts.  Soon my soft cast was removed from my back and my mother saw my back and obviously I couldn't see when they took it off. I touched my back with my hand and it felt as though my back was numb. I couldn't feel anything when I scratching my back. This felt extremely strange.

As days past by my back pain became more and more intensive. There were nights I couldn't sleep. I even cried a few nights because I couldn't bare the pain anymore. The pain killers would only last for a few hours. I strongly believed those nights were some of the defining moments of my life thus far. I had to believe that everything was going to be ok and the pain was only just for a short time.

In my next blog I’ll be addressing rehabilitation after my surgery.




I was contemplating whether to show this picture or not but i don't have any pictures  of me after surgery due to i didn't own a camera. This  is a picture of my back a few days ago.  

No comments:

Post a Comment