Tuesday 23 October 2012

Day of surgery


The morning of surgery I got up very early around 6 o clocks. When I awoke up fear gripped my heart. I wanted a glass of water but I couldn't have eaten or drunk anything before my surgery. I slowly bath and got dressed. My mother was briefed about the proceedings of the surgery. I was more or less clueless because I hardly ever fully listen to the Doctors because I tried not to think about the surgery too much.

After, my mother carried me to a part of the building that I never saw before. One of the nurses told me to lay on one of their surgical beds and relax. At this point of time I was shaking and my mother kept telling me to relax. I laid on the bed for about 20 minutes. Then I asked my mother if I am still having this surgery. Immediately after I asked her that question I saw another nurse coming into the room with a cup in her hand. She gave me the cup and told me to drink what was in the cup. I was very curious since I knew I mustn't drink anything before surgery. However, the nurse claimed that the substance in the cup was ‘happy juice’. I laughed when she told me this and I happily drank this ‘happy juice’.


A couple of hours later I awoke in a different room and my mother was sitting down in a chair close to me. When I woke up I asked my mother if I am still going to have my surgery and she was silent. When I opened my eyes wider I realized that it was over already and successful. There were about three needles in each of my hands a soft cast surrounding my back and tubes connected to me for when I needed to use the toilet. My body was pretty stick and I was hungry.


Soon Dr. Sanders came to visit me alongside with other doctors to check up on me. Everything was in order and the doctors agreed that the surgery was successful. They thanked me for giving them the opportunity to help me. I didn't understand what they meant because I am the one who should be thanking them. When they left, my mother told me that she was given the option of allowing the doctors to correct my surgery from opening my back and correcting the spine or open up both the back and chest of my body. Correcting my scoliosis from my back will only correct my curvature to an extent. 
However, correcting my curvature from both in front and behind allows almost a perfect spine but there is a great risk of obtaining infections when opening my chest area.

Basically, the doctors placed titanium rods in my back.This here is an x-ray giving an example of a patient's back before and after surgery.




My mother never owned a camera, so I don’t have any pictures after my surgery. The hospital took pictures of me but I never obtained them.

Here is another example of the machines use after my surgery.




This video would give you a visual of my back after surgery.





No comments:

Post a Comment