Thursday 11 October 2012

Journey to surgery part 1







Today i am about to begin another journey in my life; my journey to surgery. During my period in form 1 my spinecor brace wasn't doing what it was designed to do because i damaged two of the straps and broke one or two  of its  buckles at the side. Eventually, i started complaining to my mother that i was having many back pains. Now many may think that my mother should have been more stern because i damaged the  brace  she spend thousand of US dollars on. However, she was very caring and never showed any hostility. I guess she understood i didn't mean to damaged it and i disliked wearing it much. Eventually, i went to take an x-ray and a doctor brought to my mothers attention that i must have surgery because the x-ray showed my back at  almost 96 degrees which was an increase of  6 degrees from before.

No credit taken away from Trinidad and Tobago Doctors but my mother didn't want me to have my back surgery in Trinidad.On the other hand, she had no money to pay for my surgery either.This became a predicament for my mother. She swiftly notified the Chiropractic Care New York, this is where i previously got my spinecor brace. One of the doctors at the Chiropractic center  decided to take action because of my mother's financial situation and my back condition and he sent a letter to Shrines Hospital for Children alongside with my x- rays requesting  immediate surgery. Shriners Hospital for Children is a non profit  hospital that deals with orthopaedics, burn care , cleft lip and palate and spinal cord injury. The doctor promised to follow up on his letter to the hospital.

When i was told that surgery was inevitable i got really scared but never showed it. Somehow i still never showed much interest although i was a teenager at this point.This is one of  my mistakes. One should always take interest in his/her condition mainly because the condition directly affects him/her. All my mother and family can do is pray and believe that i can have this surgery and soon too.

 More on Shriners Hospital For Children

 http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shriners_Hospitals_for_Children

No comments:

Post a Comment